Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Flint Ridge Knap-in 2016

 As usual, the Fall Flint Ridge knap-in was a blast this year! I had a great time seeing all my friends, making new ones, flintknapping, and buying rocks. The weather was great this year, and there wasn;t the usual heavy rainstorm that we have had every previous year. I participated in the 10-speed knapping competition too, where flintknappers compete against one another to make the best point they can within ten minutes. Here are some pictures I took.

Steve and I holding the 10-speed points that we knapped.

My finished piece. As you can see, it is difficult to try to make a nice point in ten minutes. Many of the more skilled competitors made points that were still nice though.
Myself and Greg Benneck

Some more of us Michigan folks


The first point I made at the knap-in, a Dickson style point from KY hornstone. This is a Hopewell style from the Illinois region.

Jake Webster's table

Brian LaRochelle's setup.


The table that Michael Brown and James Shipley from Wyoming shared.

Some obsidian they mined from Glass Buttes, Oregon.
An Ohio style Hopewell point I made from Flint Ridge flint.

Some of Steve's work from the weekend. The rock smell's fear!


Eric Morris's rocks for sale.

A table with some tools, preforms, and points.
A Snyders point I made from a glossy piece of Keokuk chert.

Eric Morris and Craig Ferrell.

Some of Craig's fine knapping.
The point on left is made from Hartville Uplift chert from WY. The point on the right is Kaolin chert.

Two oblique style points patterned after types found in Europe and North Africa. The materials are heated WY oil chert and Cobden flint.


No comments:

Post a Comment