Saturday, January 11, 2014

Point-In-the-Hat trade, Winter Soltice

Being a flintknapper, I am not only interested in collecting the points that I make but those of other flintknappers. This is shared by many of those who create stone tools. For this reason many knap-ins (gatherings of flintknappers) and flintknapping web sites have events in which people trade with each other. I happen to currently host one of these events on Paleoplanet. Here's how it works: two weeks before every solstice or equinox, I post a sign-up topic so that people can have their name included. On the solstice/equinox I randomly pair the names by drawing them out of a hat. The pairs then exchange points by sending them through the mail. Pictured below is the point I received from the gentleman who goes by "Pebblepimp" on Paleoplanet. His real name is Tom and he is a very good flintknapper. I will enjoy having this beautiful point in my case.


Another pic to show of the flake pattern.


PITH1.jpg

These are the points that I sent him.

No comments:

Post a Comment