Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Rock hunting on vacation!

When ever my family goes on vacation, I always am on the lookout for potential knapping resources. This year we traveled to the Upper Penninsula, and specifically centered most of our vacation around the Houghton area in the Keweenaw. We found two sources of chert and two sources of slag glass. I don't have any pictures of the first chert and slag glass gathering adventures, but the second two I do.


Here I am picking up a small cobble of slag at a beach. Since it has been worn by the waves for at least several decades, it looks like a normal, rounded rock.

Picked up. This glass is translucent and comes in two colors, deep purple/gray and dark green.

Looking in chilly Lake Michigan.


Looking for chert near the town of Isabella.

A mix of limestone and chert.


The total haul.

Beach slag on left and center, black slag upper right, and chert far right.

Chert below, slag far left and above.




In all I got somewhere between 60-80 pounds, a good haul. A special thanks to my family for their help!

No comments:

Post a Comment